Monday 22 April 2013

My Nutrition - in the Marathon des Sables


A lot is written about a lot, I didn't write a lot about my food, but want to write about my snacks. 

The Marathon des Sables has a mandatory requirement for all participants to have a minimum of 2000 calories per day for food.
My personal split was:
800 calories breakfast freeze dried
400-600 calories per day snacks (split between Bounce Balls, Quest bars and Peperami firestick)
1000 calories dinner freeze dried food

During the day / the race it self, there is time to use freeze dried food, but it's not very convenient. This is when the "snacks" of which bounce balls was a part.

Bounce Balls was a choice as they have coconut, calorie to weight ratio is good, easy to eat and digest and texture is as I like it.

I had a variation of tastes from Bounce Balls and Quest Bars to keep it interesting.

It is very clear to me that the taste, convenience and texture of Bounce Balls was a main factor in being able to eat while moving. 

The unpack easily, they deal with the heat and don't take up a lot of space in the pack nor do they weigh a lot.

In any either mulit-day or ultra-event I would happily recommend Bounce Balls. Due to the variety of tastes and what has been mentioned before.

There have been more than one moment that I appreciated having the readily available energy from Bounce Balls available as a quick injection.


Important is a variation of tastes, textures and split between sweet and savoury.
Important is also weight to calorie ratio. You want as much calories as possible for as little weight as possible.

An important factor for me in choice was coconut taste. Bounce Balls and Quest Bars both have this.
Spicy - this is where the Firesticks come in.

However, nutrition and taste is personal so try it out, do not just take my word for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment