Sunday 18 October 2015

The past, present and future.

It has been a while. Almost 6 months since I posted. Guess I was occupied with other stuff. Has lots happened. Yes it has.

For starters I finished my 2nd Marathon des Sables. Which had its 30th anniversary. How was this special. Well it had the longest long stage, despite the one in the year with the flooding being about 800 meters longer. So typical MdS for you.

This year MdS was special, in the sense that I ended up in a totally random tent with great people from all over the world. Sean (Irish in Ireland), Abdel (Moroccan in Australia) , Leigh (South African in Switzerland , Genis & Tanya (South Africa), James (Australia) and ????? from New Zealand.
We had a special guest, Sir Ranulph Fiennes coached by the always modest Rory Coleman.
The ladies was won by one person. All stages. Elisabeth Barnes.
I ended up in this tent as the evening of the arrival it was dark, didn't know where to go, Leigh and I agreed to be in the same tent. And that was it.

The 91.x km through the night was fun. I created poem for the Dunes. Basically only had the word fuck in there. But it was good fun.

The Friday evening there was a band and music and food and drinks and rest.

My main mistake, probably again, was I walked more than I should have and trained less walking than I should have. So hopefully 2018 will be better.

It was an honour to meet Tanya Pieterse, who came back every evening looking like she had been in the worst bare knuckle fight ever, but finished.

When I was back I signed up for the North Downs Marathon. Didn't really realise it was only two weeks to go. Never been to Box Hill and NDW before. But really liked it. The marathon time was the worst in the world and I was lucky I finished within cut-off. Basically I missed the turn onto Box Hill stairs and went all the way down. So I had to go up, get up the stairs. Meet a friend and we chat a bit (like 10 minutes) continue, get to the half way mark (a backpack on a sandy track). As it was a very nice day, hotter than thought, at the 9 mile checkpoint parking there was a ice cream van. So guess what I got a double 99p. Why not I thought. Going up the stairs again this couple asks if I want to pass, but I can't be that bothered. She then looks at  my buff and states she did the MdS. So guess what another 15 minutes of chatting. In the end, good marathon, shit time, met cool dudes and girls, fab medal, and great day out on Box Hill. What better way to waste a Sunday. :-)

I've spend more time doing CrossFit and I have seen a significant difference. More mobile (knowning full well I should be much better), stronger, leaner, fitter. And great box that I train at. Good group of friends, where we do social and training. Nando's seems to be the place to be for some of us all the time and all of us some of the time, or something like that.

Pretty sure no more events this year. Did the Kingston Garmin Run, which was fun. After that we did a WattBike session at Nijnga Cycling. Thought I was going to die, trying to keep up with the coach. Didn't do half a bad job at it tho.

Next year two events coming up.
Dusseldorf Marathon in April
TransPyrenea - traversing all of Pyrenees 895km on foot.

Ok this is it and I'll be back soon. Will keep it up better.







No comments:

Post a Comment